Saturday, September 24, 2022

A Cry in the Darkness of Despair


By

Carrie K. Hutchens

No words touch my lips as the despair grasps my soul and leaves me gasping for mere life. 

What moment brought me here?

What path deceived me so cleverly?

Is there any answer to be mine, or shall I linger in the unknown with shadows taunting and breezes mocking?

In my desperate prayers, I beg to know why.  I beg to know what it is that I should do… could do… need to do.

No answers come.

Instead, nightmares fill my dreams.

Panic wakes me.

I cry.

Has hell reached out to me even before I close my eyes for the last time?

Am I being punished for something I have done?

Is this a test?

Have I failed?

Will tomorrow be any different than today with hope dashed and chances crushed?

Dare I believe there is promise in a world so full of evil?

I want to believe.

I pray to believe.

I strive to believe.

Will I?  Can I?  Am I?

Night approaches swiftly.

The shadows shall devour the light and a blanket of darkness will become all that is seen, though perhaps not felt.

Tomorrow the sun will rise and with it a new chance given.  A chance that the darkness of despair will be replaced and life will become hopeful… joyful… and proof that God does walk with us through the tunnel of desperation to the wondrous gifts he has in store for each of us.

Copyrighted © 2022 Carrie K. Hutchens

No comments:

Post a Comment